Piczo

Log in!
Stay Signed In
Do you want to access your site more quickly on this computer? Check this box, and your username and password will be remembered for two weeks. Click logout to turn this off.

Stay Safe
Do not check this box if you are using a public computer. You don't want anyone seeing your personal info or messing with your site.
Ok, I got it
www.visitscunthorpe.com
Back To Home Page
Old Scunthorpe Pictures
49 hits
Page updated at regular intervals
Kingsway looking West, c1940.
The road turning off to the right being Brumby Wood Lane leading to Ashby Road, just past the cars on the left is the continuation of Brumby Wood Lane leading down to Scotter Road.
Add a caption
Kingsway looking West, c1940.
The road turning off to the right being Brumby Wood Lane leading to Ashby Road, just past the cars on the left is the continuation of Brumby Wood Lane leading down to Scotter Road.
Scunthorpe High Street 1972-73.
Featuring a bus on route to Scotter via Yaddlethorpe, the bus Hornsby's bought new in July 1970.
Notice in the distance, top right of the bus can be seen the newly built precinct, above that further back one can also see that the Binns Store is under construction. These help date the picture.
c1965
A view of the shops where today the precinct stands, the British Home stores building can be seen to the left.
The old Scunthorpe Fire Station, early 1970s.
Stituated at the corner of Cole Street & Mary Street.
It was demolished in 1976.
The building to the right being Cole Street College, now the site of TJ Hughs.
A single decker Bedford ominbus belonging to Enterprise and Silver Dawn Motor Ltd leaving the old bus station turning onto Scunthorpe High Street in the mid 1930s. The station consisted of three platforms and was built by the company, together with new offices and passenger facilities, in 1929. Today this area is now occupied by the South Gate Mall.
The Blue Bell Hotel can also bee seen in the background.
The Scunthorpe and District Workingmen's Club & Institute along with the Crosby Hotel taken in 1911. Both buildings being recently constructed with the Crosby Hotel opening in 1911. The building of the Institue being paid for by a collection made by steelworkers. It was also known as The Big Social, having had previous premises in Cross Street, (that became the Reform Club and eventually the Mayfair). In the early days the Institute had baths and showers fitted in it's huge basement.
The building later became Scene 3 and then JJ's nightclub, it is currently Rileys snooker hall.
The precinct under construction c1969.
To the right are units occupied today by O2 & Specsavers. The white building is at the corner of Market Hill is John Bargin Shop which is now where Game is today.
To the left scaffolding can be seen where the units which contain Boots & WH Smiths are been built.
Add a caption
The precinct under construction c1969.
To the right are units occupied today by O2 & Specsavers. The white building is at the corner of Market Hill is John Bargin Shop which is now where Game is today.
To the left scaffolding can be seen where the units which contain Boots & WH Smiths are been built.
The demolition of one of Scunthorpe's best know landmarks The Blue Bell Hotel, 10th July 1970.
Binns department store opened on this site in 1974, it later became Uptons and is now Westgate department store.
An aerial view overlooking the newly built Sunnyside Estate on and around Priory Lane, 1954.
The estate was constructed between January 1949 and July 1950.
As well as prefab houses the Sunnyside Estate uncluded the construction of 94 semi detatched houses bought from Spooner Ltd of Hull. During the 1990's it was found the houses had a serious design fault and as such they were demolished in the late 1990's and the estate was rebuilt.
To the upper right can be seen Priory Lane Juniors and Westcliff Seniors which is under construction, this school was later remaned Thomas Sumpter. On the upper left the roads layed out are what became the Manor Farm Estate and beyond the fields where the Westcliff Estate was built.
In 1954, a tender was accepted from G. Wimpey & Co for the building of the new Manor Farm Estate to be built on 18 acres of land consisting of 224 houses work began in September 1954 and was completed in March 1956. The naming of the streets began with Manor Farm Road in April 1954 and five of the other eight were named after game birds, Pheasant Close was the last to be built. Eventually both the Sunnyside Estate and the Manor Farm Estate merged under the name of the latter.
In the foreground are the fields which became the Riddings allotments and to the lower left is Asterby Road, void of any houses. From middle left is the end of Willoughby Road joining Burringham Road and the site of where the Beacon Hotel was built can be seen.
Ashby Snooker Hall, 1980's
Opened as The Globe Cinema in October 1920 it changed it's name to The Roxy before closing on 27th January 1962. It went on to become a bingo hall before becoming a snooker hall and Malt Shovel in the 1980s
Everest Road Park Steam Roller, 1982.
The steam roller had been given a clean bill of health by Scunthorpe Borough Council in December 1982 following the removal of the steam loco in Jubilee park due to it containing asbestos. Ensuring the steam roller was safe had necessitated spending £350 on repair work.The Everest Road park steam roller was bought by the council from a repairer in Hykeham around 1961. The rocking horse in the park was removed in 1982, it was a piece of equipment that was deemed as dangerous by the independent national group Fair Play For Children. It was reported that there now only remained one rocking horse in the councils 26 parks, this was in Central Park and was said to be in good order
Scunthorpe Leisure Centre 1983 showing the lifting of the footbridge.
The Higher Elementry School on Cole Street. c1910
Opened 30th August 1909 and affectionally known as the Brown School due to the colour of its uniform, it went on to become an annex to North Lindsey College and is now the site of TG Hughs. The Liberal Club is just beyond the school.
The Congregational Church at Britannia Corner c1950
Dedicated 4th April 1912 after a building cost of £3,040.
It is now The Light nightspot.
Central Park paddling pool during the height of it's popularity in the 1970s
The new market frontage, early 1970s.
The original market & frontage from 1906 was demolished to make way for new shop units as part of the precinct and this one was erected slightly further along. The shop units within the market frontage are empty whilst it's still under construction.
Ashby Road in the 1960's featuring the former public toilets and bus shelter behind which the Civic Centre can be seen, renamed Pittwood House, after Edwin Pittwood, in the 1990's.
A 1970's view of the rear of Scunthorpe library taken from the tower of St. John the Evangelist's Church.
Broadway, Ashby taken in the 1960's
Looking down Bridges Rd during the construction of Westcliff Housing Estate, mid 1960s. Herrick Rd is the first turning on the right.